Categories

Blogroll

Search

Erath 4th of July Ambassadors

July 25, 2010 by

Posted in History | Comments Off

Erath 4th of July Grand Marshals

July 25, 2010 by

Posted in History | Comments Off

Erath 4th of July Queens

July 25, 2010 by

1st Queen Helen Sandoz Boudreaux (searching for the exact year)
1938 Gertrude Sellers
1954 Marie Gaspard Hebert (Ag Queen)
1955 Norma White Dugas (Ag Queen)
1956 Marlene Landry (Ag Queen)
1961
1962 Mona Menard
1963 Diana Romero Ortemond
1964 Margo Butler LeBlanc
1965 Carolyn Perrin Boudreaux
1966 Elizabeth “Libby” Simon
1967
1968
1969
1970
1971
1972 Marla Rose Landry
1973 Mary Adele “Tootie” Landry
1974 Charlene LeBlanc
1975 Patty Broussard
1976 Celeste Poche Stuart and Suzanne Suire Landry
1977 Dana Lachausse Dronet
1978 Rachel Frederick Richard
1979 Mary Desormeaux Breaux
1980 Shammie Broussard Derise
1981 Manique Reaux LeBlanc
1982 Marlene Menard
1983 Casandra Sandoz Brasseaux
1984 Marcelle Miguez Alexander
1985 Christina Ortemond Franques
1986 Jamie Theriot Porter
1987 Dawn Porier
1988 Carmen Comeaux
1989 Nicole Hebert Toups
1990 Nikki Prejean
1991 Nicole Deviller Conrad
1992 Madeline Dehart
1993 Joanna Moss
1994 Jennifer Roy
1995 Tarrah Comeaux Davis
1996 Theresa Comeaux Touchet
1997 Regina Menard
1998 Anita F. Abshire
1999 Haley Broussard Buteau
2000 Holly Lacombe
2001 April Leger
2002 Monica Suire
2003 Jennifer Falgout
2004 Mallory Juneau
2005 Leslie Mouton
2006 Delanie Langlinais
2007 Kim Wooten
2008 Allyson Boudreaux
2009 Britteny Reed
2010 Jaysie Hebert
2011 Camille Mouton

Posted in History | Comments Off

Bank of Erath: 100 Years of Service

July 17, 2010 by

july2010 093ssIf you pass on Edwards Street in Erath at this time,  you can see green banners signifying the Bank of Erath’s 100th anniversary.

The Bank was organized in August of 1910 and opened its doors for business on November 18, 1910.

The original Bank of Erath opened on November 18, 1910, with Vernon Caldwell as the founder. (The original Bank of Erath is where the Acadian Museum is currently located.

Frank B. Williams, (Erath’s first Mayor and a pharmacist) was the Bank of Erath’s first cashier. (Williams remained there until his death in 1922). Other cashiers included W. J. Broussard, Earl Golden, A. S. Dubois and Roy Leblanc.

Bank of Erath was built in 1910 on the corner of Broadway and Edwards in Erath. (Note: You can see the legs of the Water Tower which collapsed on the Erath City Hall on October 3, 1964.)

Bank of Erath was built in 1910 on the corner of Broadway and Edwards in Erath. (Note: You can see the legs of the Water Tower which collapsed on the Erath City Hall on October 3, 1964.)

Built at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Bank of Erath remained in that facility until the 1950’s, when additional space was needed for the prospering business. At that time, the Bank of Erath purchased the abandoned Bijou Theater building located across the street (on the corner of East Edwards), and remodeled it for the growing institution.  Since that time, two other Bank of Erath branches have opened in Abbeville and Delcambre.

In the 1950’s, additional space was needed for the prospering business. At that time, the Bank of Erath purchased the abandoned Bijou Theater. (Which is the current building of the Bank of Erath).

In the 1950’s, additional space was needed for the prospering business. At that time, the Bank of Erath purchased the abandoned Bijou Theater. (Which is the current building of the Bank of Erath).

The names of its founders are familiar to the present day residents of Vermilion Parish which are, namely, Moresi, Caldwell, Broussard and LeBlanc.

Bank of Erath has two other full service branches; namely the Delcambre Branch, which opened on October 22, 1962 and the Abbeville Branch, which opened on May 5, 1986.

The Bank’s president is Paul G. Moresi, Jr. who is the grandson of Damas Moresi, one of its founders. The Board members are Paul G. Moresi, Jr., Beth B. Melebeck, James M. Segura, III, Dr. Howard Alleman, Donald W. Guidry, Vernon L. Caldwell, III and Paul G. Moresi, III. 

 

Bank of Erath is celebrating 100 years of service this year.

Bank of Erath is celebrating 100 years of service this year.

 

The Bank of Erath will celebrate its 100th year anniversary during the 2010 year.

Posted in History | Comments Off

Erath Principals

June 10, 2010 by

This is a work in progress… bear with us until we have the information in place.

Erath High Principals:   (don’t have exact years yet.)

The 1st four served the first two schools (Both on Kibbe Street)

  1. Mr. Lafleur (We didn’t find out his first name)
  2. Raphael Broussard
  3. Alphe Hebert
  4. Gerald Fahay

Served for the three story school.

  1. B. E. (Bert) Webb (Mid 20’s to Early 50’s)
  2. Henry Bernard Jr. (Early 50’s-1965) Was Principal @ 3 story school and at the current plant.

Served as Principal at EHS’ Current plant

  1. Robert J. Segura Sr. (1965-1976)
  2. M. C. Trahan 1976-1977  (Mr. Segura returned from1977-1980)
  3. Clarence Moss 1981-1991
  4. Garolyn Landry 1992-1995
  5. Lynn Vincent 1996-not sure when he left.
  6. Charlotte Waguespack (checking on years)
  7. Francis Touchet 2005-Present

Assistant Principals at Erath High School

  1. Charles Bienvenu
  2. Cleve Thibodeaux (Served one year in the 40’s)
  3. Sterling Menard
  4. Jimmy Vice
  5. Ralph Thibodeaux
  6. Garolyn Landry
  7. Lynn Vincent
  8. Charlotte Waguespack
  9. Mike Guilbeaux
  10. Teddy Broussard
  11. Clarence Moss
  12. Donald Primeaux
  13. Lynn Moss
  14. Francis Touchet
  15. Liz Vice 2005-Present

Erath Elementary/Erath Middle Principals and Assistant Principals

  1. Donald Primeaux served as the Erath Elementary/Middle School Principal from 1980 until 1989.
  2. Ebrar Reaux was named the new Erath Middle School Principal in 1989 and retired in May 2005.  
  3. Lynn Moss became Principal in 2005.

Assistant Principals

  1. In the fall of 1991, Erath Middle School hired Mrs. Matael Jordan as the new Assistant Principal and remained until 2003.
  2. Assistant Principal Laura LeBouef served after Mrs. Jordan.
  3. Erroll Trahan is the current Assistant Principal.

Dozier Elementary Principals

  1. Reverent B.T. Whitt (1942-1968)
  2. Dozier Closed from 1968 until 1972
  3. Johnnie Suire (1972- 1980)
  4. Sherry Trahan (1980-1986)
  5. Teddy Broussard (1986-2001)
  6. Ralph Thibodeaux  (2001-2003)
  7. Elizabeth Gremillion (2003-2009)
  8. Karla Desormeaux Toups (2009-Present)

Dozier Elementary Assistant Principals:

  1. The first Assistant Principal was Elizabeth Gremillion who served in 2003 under Ralph Thibodeaux.
  2. In 2003, Dawn Amy was hired to replace Liz Gremillion when she became Principal. (Both Gremillion and Amy remained at Dozier until 2009.)
  3. Karla Desormeaux Toups became Principal in 2009, with Natalie Guillot Hebert as the third Assistant Principal.

Posted in Erath High Alumni, History | Comments Off

Erath High School Homecoming Queens

June 7, 2010 by

Erath High School Homecoming Queens

    1. 1950 Ida Katherine Sandoz Landry

    2. 1951 Liben Simon Broussard

    3. 1952 Mona Broussard Guillot

    4. 1953 Gaynell Suire Broussard

    5. 1954 Dolores Bolner Dubois

    6. 1955 Lois LeBlanc Lanphear

    7. 1956 Marian Vincent Lange

    8. 1957 Marion Vincent Frederick

    9. 1958 Frankie Darbonne Phyle

    10. 1959 Phyllis Dronet LeBlanc

    11. 1960 Gladys Dubois Romero

    12. 1961 Charlene Delcambre Coreil

    13. 1962 Judy Comeaux Dubois

    14. 1963 Diana Romero Ortemond

    15. 1964 Lou Gene Mailhes Thibodeaux

    16. 1965 Tina Dubois

    17. 1966 Barbara Dugas Toups

    18. 1967 Juanita Boudreaux Geurin

    19. 1968 Debbie LeBlanc Frederick

    20. 1969 Anne Bourgeois Guilbeaux

    21. 1970 Darlene Guidry Suire

    22. 1971 Agnes Moss Fournier

    23. 1972 Charlotte Delahoussaye Goutierrez

    24. 1973 Charlotte Lopez Segura

    25. 1974 Linda Doucet Granger

    26. 1975 Jo Beth Grovenberg Bourgeois

    27. 1976 Mary Helen Boudreaux Broussard

    28. 1977 Dana Lachaussee Dronet

    29. 1978 Roz Mergist Broussard

    30. 1979 Janet Hollier Viator

    31. 1980 Monica Granger Calvert

    32. 1981 Manique Reaux LeBlanc

    33. 1982 Kay Sandoz Brasseaux

    34. 1983 Jackie Segura Puyau

    35. 1984 Christy Ortemond Franques

    36. 1985 Monique Arceneaux Sonnier

    37. 1986 Jenny Reaux Hargrave

    38. 1987 Tracy Moss Watson

    39. 1988 Tonia LeBlanc Langlinais

    40. 1989 Tanisha Grogan Robins

    41. 1990 Michelle Blancas Richard

    42. 1991 Monica Blancas Broussard

    43. 1992 Theresa Comeaux Touchet

    44. 1993 Amber Tribe Domingue

    45. 1994 Magion Meaux Falgout

    46. 1995 Amy Wilson Stakes

    47. 1996 Alicia Primeaux Gravouia

    48. 1997 Amy Toups

    49. 1998 Brooke Stoute Bernard

    50. 1999 Holly Collins Comeaux (50th Queen)

    51. 2000 Skye Tribe

    52. 2001 Lindsay Mencacci Schexnider

    53. 2002 Jessica Hebert Ward

    54. 2003 Jessica Pillette

    55. 2004 Nicole Langlinais Hebert

    56. 2005 Andrea Broussard

    57. 2006 Heather LeBlanc

    58. 2007 Brooke Hebert

    59. 2008 Katie Domingues

    60. 2009 Kristen Carpenter

    61. 2010 Camille Delcambre

    62. 2011 Meaghan Perkins

1st Queen was Ida Catherine Sandoz Landry (Players are Carol Landry & Carol Treadway)

1st Queen was Ida Catherine Sandoz Landry (Players are Roland Landry & Carol Treadway)

Posted in Erath High Alumni, History | Comments Off

Remembering Our Soldiers

May 31, 2010 by

 

Let Us Never Forget

 Let Us Never Forget

During this century our country called you

And many others to fight in wars.

So you found courage deep within your soul;

But at the cost of tremendous scars.

Fear filled your heavy heart

As you kissed loved ones good bye.

Though strength welled up within,

Nothing could stop the tears in your eyes.

On the battleground came lessons

Which you quickly learned;

That at crossroads death and soldiers meet,

And some friends would never return.

This tribute is for all of you,

Because you fought  when your life was torn apart.

Today we offer gratitude for the “Pride of America”

That “you” placed in our hearts.

Posted in History | Comments Off

Bank of Erath/Acadian Museum “A True Face of History”

May 15, 2010 by

Bank of Erath was built in 1910 on the corner of Broadway and Edwards in Erath. (Note: You can see the legs of the Water Tower which collapsed on the Erath City Hall on October 3, 1964.)

Bank of Erath was built in 1910 on the corner of Broadway and Edwards in Erath. (Note: You can see the legs of the Water Tower which collapsed on the Erath City Hall on October 3, 1964.)

      Upon entrance of the Acadian Museum located on the comer of South Broadway and West Edwards Street in Erath, the essence of history literally captures your soul. Built in 1910 as the original building housing the Bank of Erath, the ninety five year old structure, stands proudly today as a link to the area’s historical roots. Now housing artifacts, photos and remnants of the community’s past, this timeless building,  so rich in history helps enhance the historic atmosphere of the Acadian Museum.

       The original Bank of Erath opened on November 18, 1910, with Vernon Caldwell as the founder. Frank B. Williams, (Erath’s first Mayor and a pharmacist) was the Bank of Erath’s first cashier. (Williams remained there until his death in 1922). Other cashiers included W. J. Broussard, Earl Golden, A. S. Dubois and Roy Leblanc.

      Built at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Bank of Erath remained in that building until the 1950′s, when additional space was needed for the prospering business. At that time, the Bank of Erath purchased the abandoned Bijou Theater building located across the street (on the corner of East Edwards), and remodeled it for the growing institution. Since that time, two other Bank of Erath branches have opened in Abbeville and Delcambre.

      From the mid 1950′s until 1990, the structure of the old bank was used by other businesses. In the early 1990′s, Warren Perrin and Weldon Granger joined forces as friends, attorneys and native sons of this area, to purchase the building as a law office for Perrin. With a seemingly predestined path, a series of events surprisingly launched the Acadian Museum.

The Acadian Museum in Erath, Louisiana is housed in the old Bank of Erath structure. Photo below was taken during the Erath Centennial Celebration in 1999.  Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike both brought flood water into the Museum.

The Acadian Museum in Erath, Louisiana is housed in the old Bank of Erath structure. Photo below was taken during the Erath Centennial Celebration in 1999. Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike both brought flood water into the Museum.

         On July 19, 1991, the Acadian Heritage and Culture Foundation Inc. was incorporated by Granger and Perrin, in order to operate the Museum. The Museum offers historical information to those interested in the history of the area, as well as the Acadian heritage. Through the generosity of Philanthropist, Weldon Granger, CODOFIL (Council for the Development of French in Louisiana) President Warren Perrin, community volunteers and a variety of generously donated photographs and artifacts, the museum offers a pictorial and physical legacy of the area.

      Through Granger and Perrin’s genuine efforts and an overwhelming support system of the Erath community, the unique history outlet has been established as a treasure in this town. Ten years ago, a twist of fate brought forth a business venture of two old friends, which evolved into a gift for the community. By exemplifying a true spirit of Cajun pride, this amazing duo, not only opened doors to the Acadian Museum, but to the priceless roots and legacy of the area’s rich history.

        When visiting Erath’s Acadian Museum, the presence of the historic walls, coupled with the heartfelt warmth of Acadian nostalgia, helps generate a true glimpse of the past. A glimpse which has captured the heart and soul of this area. Like the face of a clock represents time, this quaint historic structure without a doubt, represents a “true face of history” in the small town of Erath.

Posted in History | Comments Off

Erath Volunteer Fire Department

May 15, 2010 by

bellThis is a special tribute to all of the firemen who have selflessly served the Erath Volunteer Fire Department since the of it’s life in 1946. 

  The infancy of any community brings forth struggle and survival. Though difficult adapting to problems, death and destruction, becomes a way of life. As with natural disasters, destructive fires have posed problems since Erath’s birth. However, the town has always managed to survive whatever crossed it’s path. Although fires caused problems before 1911, Hinkley’s Bakery fire on Kibbe street was Erath’s first recorded blaze in 1912. Without a water system in place, residents fought fires with buckets of water.

Early fire in Erath: "Hinckley's Bakery"

Early fire in Erath: "Hinckley's Bakery"

   In 1914, a water system was installed in the Village of Erath. Behind the old Bank of Erath, (now the Acadian Museum), a water tower was constructed and fire hydrants were installed to assist residents in fighting fires. However, the equipment at that time only included approximately two hundred feet of hoses, which was hooked up to a hand drawn cart. Although the Abbeville Fire Department was called in emergency situations, fires still managed to destroy buildings and homes at this time. In the mid thirties, the Cotton Gin on the corner of Derouen and Gin Street, was destroyed by fire.  (Emmett and Grace Bares’ home was built on the site of that cotton gin).

      By the year 1938, Cap’s Confectionery, Bijou Dance Hall and T. J. Suire’s Dry Goods Store burnt, leaving nothing but ash and debris. With a limited water system, not much could be done other than to control the fire from spreading to other buildings. That horrendous blaze consumed not one, but three businesses located on the comer of Broadway and East Lastie. (This site is where the Bank of Erath and parking lot now stands.

     Upon his return from World Wm II, Lee Bernard played a major role in organizing Erath’s Volunteer Fire Department in 1946. Bernard served as Fire Chief from 1946- 1952. The equipment of the Fire Department at that time included one truck, a two hundred fifty gallon water tank, ladders, hoses, picks and axes. Fire fighting techniques were taught to mea residents, who volunteered to serve as community fire fighters. The fire alarm at that time, was a large bell that firemen rang at the news of a blaze. The bell hung from one of the lines that ran under the water tower. The Erath Fire Department Fire Chiefs through it’s fifty five year history have included: Lee Bernard, 1946-1952; Lawrence Broussard, 1953-1959; Purfay/cry Richard, 1959- 1967; Donald Menard, 1967- 1972; Junius Lemaire, 1972-1976; Donald Menard 1976-1992; Russell Delahoussaye; 1992-1999; Tony Richard, 1999-2000 and Russell Delahoussaye, was back in 2000.  Wayne Mouton then  served and currently the Dennis Mouton Jr. is the town’s fire chief.

Erath Fire Department on Kibbe Street

Erath Fire Department on Kibbe Street

    1964 brought with it, the destruction of the town’s Fire Station and, CityHall. With an twist of Hurricane Hilda’s winds, the water tower holding 40,000 gallons of water, collapsed, leaving behind rubble and eight dead men. Following that horrendous accident, found lying amidst the debris, was the unharmed fire (alarm) bell. In 1965, a new fire department was built on the comer of Kibbe and Bourque Street. Placed in front of the new fire station, was the fire station’s fire, which somehow survived the tremendous impact of the water tower fall. Perched for all to see, that tiny piece of history truly symbolizes the old and new, past and present, tragedy and of course, survival. The survival of a community when destruction paved a path through the town of Erath. 

Posted in History | Comments Off

“Dreams of A Veteran: Legacy of the Boudreaux and Gary Hardware Store”

May 15, 2010 by

         As World War II came to a close in 1945, many families mourned the loss of veterans. While some were laid to rest, many soldiers returned home to face uncertain futures. The majority of them returned home, different men. For some, surviving the war brought a new sense of hope and renewal, which helped them face his future head on. Erath soldier, Dewey Boudreaux Sr. returned with a dream in his heart and hopes of a bright future.

       Just before the turn of the century, Arthur Derouen, a brother to Dr. Joe Kibbe’s wife Pauline, opened a dry goods store. Later, Adolph Derouen, (Pauline Derouen Kibbe’s younger brother) and his son Conrad Derouen Sr., purchased land from Patrick O’Toole. (0′ Toole was one of Erath’s original land owners). In 1912, the Derouen’s built a general merchandise store on West Lastie Street.

       When Derwey Boudreaux Sr. left to serve in World War II, a verbal agreement for the sale of the Derouen Merchandise Store was formed between the proprietor and the young soldier. It was decided that upon return of the war, Boudreaux would purchase Derouen’s business. As an aging businessman, Derouen was ready to sell. That, coupled with the grief of losing his only son Conrad “Snookie” Derouen, during World War II, made Derouen more than willing to sell.

      Following the war, Boudreaux then asked his brother in law, B. J. “Boy” Gary to be his partner in this new business venture and Gary agreed. Dewey Boudreaux Sr. and his brother in law, B. J. “Boy” Gary, two returning WW II veterans, bought the store from Derouen.

       The purchase took place in April of 1946. The building then took the shape of a hardware store. A grand opening was held with the “Happy Fats” French band performing in April 1946. The brother in law duo remained partner s of the store from 1946 until Boudreaux’s death in 1974.

      “Boy” Gary was a brother to Boudreaux’s wife, Evelyn. Their parents were Mr. and Mrs. Fils Gary of Erath. B. J. “Boy” Gary and his wife the former Mae Lois Oube, had two children, Baron and Greta. Dewey Boudreaux Sr. and his wife, the former Evelyn Gary, also had two children, Dewey Boudreaux Jr. and Juanita Boudreaux (Guerin). Evelyn Gary Boudreaux was an Erath elementary school teacher for thirty four years. After Dewey Boudreaux Sr. passed away on February 2, 1974. “Boy” Gary continued to run the business until December 31, 1989. “Boy” Gary died on November 30, 1995.

      At almost ninety years old, the building constructed by the Derouen’s in 1912, remains in use at 114 West Lastie today. As one of Erath’s oldest buildings, this particular structure has seen different businesses and faces through the past eighty nine years of it’s life. This unique building has withstood floods, hurricanes, and a great many struggles. If in reality these historic walls could talk, one can only imagine the stories that could be passed on to the next generation of residents. As a returning veteran of a horrendous war, Dewey Boudreaux Sr. returned home from WW II, with a sense of renewal and hope. Hope that generated the evolution of the “Boudreaux and Gary Hardware Store.” It was a dream that was able to transcend obstacles and struggles through the years. It was a dream that found a path that led to the reality of a successful business. It was dream that began in the heart of a determined veteran.

Posted in Erath High Alumni, History | Comments Off

« Previous Entries Next Entries »